Solved

How do I provide a path to a PAC flle on Windows?

• 25 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I need to provide Sauce Connect with the address of a PAC file.  This document says I can just write a file URL, but I’m on Windows so I’m not sure that’ll work.  Do I just put the slashes in the other way eg file:\\some_file.pac?

icon

Best answer by SauceBot 25 February 2021, 01:26

View original

1 reply

That path is meant to be a File URL.  They’re a platform agnostic way to describe where a file is located, so you can use them the same way on Windows, Mac, Linux, or anywhere else.

That means the slashes go this way → /.

On Windows, you’ll need to know the full path of your file, which means you need everything including the drive letter.  That’s usually C, but if it’s on another drive (like a network drive), it might be somewhere else.  If you’re not sure, ask your networking team!

Once you know the full path to the file, just follow these steps:

1. Start with file://
  2. Add the drive letter, followed by a colon (:) and a slash (/)
  3. Add the rest of the file path, changing any backslashes (\) to forward slashes (/)

Here’s an example.  Say your PAC file is located at C:\important\location\the_file.pac.

1. Start with file://
  2. Add the drive letter, colon and slash to give us file://C:/
  3. Add the rest of the path, flipping the slashes: file://C:/important/location/the_file.pac

Once you’ve converted the location over, you can test it by opening it in a browser.  If the browser opens the file, or tries to download it, success!