Robot Framework: The Good and the Bad

• 25 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

A test tool that seems to be growing in popularity is Robot Framework. This is an open source tool for writing keyword-based tests. There are also pre-written keyword libraries that have plenty of keywords ready to use written by the Robot Framework community. 

Keyword-driven testing is an interesting way of writing test automation with pros and cons. On the plus side, test cases are “human readable” and can be written by non-technical folks like product owners or business analysts in addition to testers and developers. On the minus side, keyword management can be difficult to maintain, increasing overall project maintenance. 

As well, the Robot Framework seems to have an active community and good library maintainers, which means the actual tools are kept up-to-date. 

If you have any experiences with Robot Framework (good, bad or ugly), I’d like to hear about them!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I haven’t used Robot directly, but I’ve provided support for a lot of different tools, and your point about it being an active project with engaged moderators is an excellent one.  Using tools that are kept up to date really helps ensure you can take your tests in the direction they need to go.  (This is also why it’s a great idea to get involved in the maintenance of projects you use!)

It looks like Robot is similar to Cucumber, but with more of an emphasis on really simple, slightly, er, robotic descriptions, rather then Cucumber’s verbose and human (But entirely custom-driven) steps.  Is that a fair description?